Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Grasshopper and the Ants


All summer long a merry grasshopper spent his days making music. When he saw the ants marching past him in a line, carrying seeds and grain to store in their hill, he laughed at their toil.. "How foolish, to work so hard in the hot sun!" the grasshopper said. "Summer's the time to play and sing. There's time enough to worry about winter when the first snow falls."
But when the days grew short and the first snow fell, the grasshopper could find nothing to eat. Shivering in the cold, he came to ask the ants for help. "Please, can't you spare me a seed or a leaf?" he begged. "I'm too hungry even to sing!"
The ants shrugged in disdain. "We worked hard for our food and we have none to spare, " they said. "All summer long you made nothing but music. Now all winter long you dance!"

Don't put off for tomorrow what you should do today.



          Today is my first entry and to start off I just wanted to explain what I am doing. For the next 21 days, I will be posting a different Aesop's Fable every so other day and discussing the morals of the stories. The first one is The Grasshopper and the Ant.

            Today I had a basketball game at school that I couldn't go to because I forgot my basketball shoes at my home. I went home and didn't play. I should have told my coach that I couldn't play and that I was sorry I couldn't be there; but I postponed it because I had other things to do and classes to get to. So at the end of the day, I went home and forgot to tell my coach completely. So to him it must have felt like I completely blew him off. I felt bad about not telling him but I felt even worse for forgetting to tell him. I feel that the moral of this story is perfect for this occasion. It basically says, "Don't procrastinate!" I put off telling my coach about not being able to go to the game and I eventually forgot. Now that I have read this story, I will know better for next time.

          Many other people procrastinate, not just me. Just in my class alone, a lot of my friends tend to procrastinate on their homework and projects. Like just today, my friend did not do his homework because he put it off until the last moment and barely got started. So he did not do homework for 3 subjects and he probably got an "F". He said to me, "It's fine, I'll just do it later." But later never came. Most of my friends, looking back, are not the best with managing their time.

          For those people who aren't the best at managing their time, here are some tricks that you can use to stop procrastinating.

  • Try to write down things to do to keep reminding yourself not to not put them off
  • Do the worst things first to get them over with
  • Make jobs smaller and easier to manage
  • Self-assess what you have done every other hour to make sure you are still on track
  • Stay focused and don't get distracted 
          What I'm trying to say is, don't procrastinate like the grasshopper, or you'll end up starving through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment